The Bangor State Fair Photography Competition will showcase the talents of both youth and adult photography enthusiasts. Cash prizes and/or ribbons will be awarded to winning entries, with an esteemed panel of professional photographers as judges.
With a tradition of celebrating the best of the best, this photo contest is a way for the Bangor State Fair to recognize the emerging visual talents of many Maine photographers who have captured the beauty of Maine, as well as the beauty of the ordinary and extraordinary from around the globe.
The judges will recognize individual photos in several categories, including:
- Nature—the “hand of man” cannot be evident in the picture.
- Open—Any subject matter in good taste.
- Maine—Photos that symbolize Maine and were taken in Maine.
- Maine Colleges and High Schools. Photos must be of architecture or events on Maine High School or College campuses.
All entries will be judged on:
- Creativity — originality, does the image inspire or evoke a feeling?
- Composition — framing, perspective, leading lines, etc.
- Theme — adherence to division/class.
- Quality — exposure, white balance, focus, depth of field, lighting, resolution, etc.
Prize money and ribbons in all of the above categories include: Adult Best in Show, $100; Youth Best in Show, $100; First Place, $20.00; Second Place, $15.00; Third Place, $10.00; Ribbons only will be awarded for Honorable Mention.
Entries may be mailed or delivered in person. Mailed entries are due July 21st or deliver in person on July 24th at Bass Park. Check the web site for details.
A complete listing of the rules with divisions and classes can be found at this link to the Photo Contest 2017 entry package on the Bangor State Fair web site.
A lot of great photographers are out there. But to get a great photo, sometimes it just takes being in the right place at the right time, and knowing how to get the most out of your image. Good Luck!